Cake for my coach’s birthday
For the cake:
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup coco powder
- 1 1/4 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 vanilla greek yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the espresso chocolate ganauche
- 4 tbsp butter
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee (using instant espresso packet – room temp)
- 1/3 cup powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
Directions for the cake:
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan with butter then coat with a dusting of flour. Shake out excess flour and set aside.
- Chop the unsweetened chocolate into small bits and place in a small bowl with the cocoa. Pour boiling water over chocolate. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift the flours, baking soda, salt, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add demerara sugar, honey, and cream and mix for another 2-3 minutes. Scrape sides of mixing bowl. At medium-high speed, add eggs one at a time, mixing for about 30 seconds in between each addition. Scrape sides of bowl again, then add Greek yogurt and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- With the mixer on low speed, add 1/2 of the flour, then add half of the chocolate mixture, and mix to combine. Repeat ending with the flour mixture. Be careful not to overbeat. Remove the bowl from the mixer, scrape sides and mix well by hand until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan, evening out the top of the batter. Bake on the middle rack for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven, rest in pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack to let cool completely.
- For the ganache: In a double boiler, melt butter and chocolate together, stirring every minute or so until melted. Remove from heat and stir in brewed coffee, and vanilla. Sift the powdered sugar into the bowl and whisk well. Let cool to room temperature.
- Once the cake is cooled. Place on a cake batter and drizzle with ganache!
This recipe is by Gillian Haas, with some slight modifications.
Gluten-Free: This recipe can be modified with a combination of Gluten-Free flour, rice flour, and tapioca flour. I like to add a little more butter;)