One of my most request meals when I would come home from college was what my mom called Mexican Pizza. You can make this delicious dish in so many different ways… but basically, it’s pizza made from cornbread, and stuffed/topped with Mexican goodness!
Although being in LA has not caused me to miss Oregon’s relentless rain, I do miss the foods that it produces. Especially during harvest season. Pumpkins, squash, pears, apples, zucchini mmmmm. I love.
So I decided to add a twist to the Mexican Pizza, and make it with GF pumpkin cornbread instead!
And for the first time I had an egger helper;)
PUMPKIN MEXICAN PIZZA
I got my recipe for the GF Pumpkin cornbread here!
– 2 flax eggs (2 T ground flax mixed with 6 T water)
– 1 cup brown rice flour
– 1 cup yellow cornmeal
– 1 T baking powder
– 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
– 1/2 tsp sea salt
– 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
– ½ cup pumpkin puree (applesauce and mashed banana also work)
– 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
Mexican Pizza Ingredients:
– 1 yellow onion
– 1 red pepper
– 1 carton of colorful Trader Joe’s cherry tomatoes
– A few green onion stems
– 1 can of black beans
– 1 cup corn
– 1 zucchini (but I didn’t have any for this:( )
– 3 black bean chipotle burger patties
– 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
– Preheat oven to 350
– Grease an 8 x 4 loaf pan with non-stick spray or coconut oil
– Blend flax eggs in a small bowl
– Combine cornmeal, brown rice flour, coconut palm sugar xanthan gum, baking powder and salt in a large bowl
– Add pumpkin, and almond milk to flax egg bowl
-Then mix the wet ingredients with the dry and set aside
– Sauté veggies on low until soft
– Grill the black bean chipotle burgers in a separate pan
– Then dump in veggies, beans, corn, and 1 and 1/2 cup shredded cheese into the cornbread mix and blend together with a fork
– Once the black bean burgers have cooled a little, break them into bit sized pieces and blend into the cornbread mix
– Poor mixture into a 9″12″ pyrx glass baking dish or pan
– Bake for 40-45 min
-remove from oven and spread 1/2 cup shredded cheese over the top and place back in oven on broil for 3 min or until cheese is melted and slightly crispy on top!
-remove and let cool
*Recommended to be served with salsa and sour cream and perhaps a marg;)